An easy marinara sauce recipe without sugar! This is a quick and easy recipe for a flavorful marinara sauce. There is no need to cook this sauce for hours, I simply combine all of the ingredients and allow them to simmer in a pan.
This is a great recipe, especially if you are looking for a low carb marinara sauce to serve with your chicken parmesan or lasagna.
This is also a great recipe for busy families, because once you get your tomato sauce to where it needs to be in terms of thickness, the rest is hands off.
You can follow this marinara sauce recipe with pretty much any low carb ingredient you have on hand. The sky’s the limit!
You can use this for your favorite zucchini pasta dish, to dip veggies in, or as a pizza sauce.
A keto-friendly recipe that’s low carb, hearty, and delicious!
The best part of this recipe is there’s no need for added sugar!
However, feel free to add in some red pepper flakes if you’re looking to spice it up, and enjoy!
Ingredients to make Marinara sauce keto
– Tomatoes: You can use fresh tomatoes or can tomatoes. If you choose to buy can tomatoes make sure you buy the ones with no sugar added.
– Olive oil: I like to use extra virgin olive oil, make sure to buy pure olive oil and not the ones mixed with canola or soybean oil.
– Garlic: If you love garlic, use 6-8 cloves of garlic.
– Basil: I used dried basil, but you can use fresh basil.
– Oregano: You can use dried oregano or fresh oregano. I like to put in in my hands and rub my palms together to bruised. that brings out the oils in the oregano leaves.
– Onion Powder: I like to use onion powder, but if you don’t have any use dried chives instead.
– Salt & Pepper: I used Himalayan pink salt and ground pepper. You can use regular table salt and ground pepper or any other type of sea salts.
Instructions for the low carb marinara sauce recipe
- in a sauce pan heat olive oil and add onion powder, basil, oregano and garlic.
- sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- add crushed tomatoes salt and pepper.
- bring the sauce to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and serve
Frequently asked questions
Are beefsteak tomatoes keto?
Yes, beefsteak tomatoes are keto friendly. They are usually very low in carbs and sugar. They’re a heirloom tomato with red flesh, and are very common in the United States. A medium tomato (100g) has around 4g of carbs and 1g of fiber, so it has 3 net carbs.
Is Marinara sauce keto-friendly?
A keto-friendly marinara sauce would be one made with all tomato and spices and no added sugar. Therefore, yes a homemade marinara sauce made without sugar is keto friendly and low carb. A typical marinara sauce is not keto-friendly because it contains added sugar.
What is the difference between pasta sauce and marinara?
A traditional red sauce called “marinara” is usually lighter in color, sweeter, and more acidic. Marinara sauces are often made with canned tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, onions, salt, and pepper. A heavier tomato sauce called “pasta sauce” or “spaghetti sauce” is usually thicker in texture and has a wider variety of ingredients including carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions or sometimes celery.
Marinara Sauce Recipe Without Sugar
- 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6-8 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan heat olive oil and add onion powder, basil, oregano and garlic.
- Sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and serve
Amount Per Serving Calories 76Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 255mgCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 2g