Leftover turkey in my fridge, not enough time to cook it in the oven. What is a girl to do? A Low Carb Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala!!
Your family will love these leftover turkey recipes.
I decided to try something new and see if I could turn my Thanksgivings leftover turkey into an Indian dish.
I had everything on hand. I had all the spices needed for this dish too.
This variation on the chicken tikka masala dish is so easy to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
The turkey stays tender and the flavors are bold and beautiful.
This is a low carb dish for those watching their carbs.
You can enjoy this low carb leftover turkey tikka masala recipe without feeling guilty.
Leftover turkey never tasted so good!!
Low Carb Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala Ingredients
– Leftover cooked Turkey: You may chop or shred the turkey meat. Generally, I just shred the breast meat because it’s easy to do. Most of the other meats are usually shredded or chopped to bite sizes.
– Yogurt: I like to use whole milk greek yogurt for the thick consistency. If you don’t have greek yogurt, you may use regular plain yogurt.
– Cilantro: I like to use fresh cilantro.
– Tomato: I use the canned tomatoes, crushed or diced. If you have whole canned tomatoes, just chop them up after you open the can.
– Ginger: Fresh ginger instead of the dried version.
–Garlic: I use fresh garlic instead of the powder.
– Onion: I used a large yellow onion because it’s what I had on hand. You may use any type of onion you like.
– Garam masala: If you don’t have this on hand, you may use a combination of cinnamon, cumin, cloves and nutmeg.
– Paprika: I used a smoked paprika for this recipe. That’s what I had in the house.
– Turmeric: Perfect spice for this indian dish.
– Coriander: I use the powdered version of this spice.
– Butter or ghee: Butter gives this recipe richness and depth.
– Freshly Ground Salt & Pepper: To taste. I like to use sea salt and also ground the pepper fresh.
I must say this turkey tikka masala recipe turned out phenomenal.
The turkey was juicy and tender. The spices were bold and blended well together.
I doubled this recipe to have leftovers for lunch or dinner during the week.
Turkey tikka masala stays well in the fridge for a few days.
If you have leftovers, it is best to reheat the dish over low heat and not high.
This recipe can be made in the slow cooker.
Just add the leftover turkey to the slow cooker with all of the ingredients and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Leftover turkey tikka masala is perfect for a weekday night dinner too!
Low Carb Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala Recipe
A Low Carb Leftover Turkey Tikka Masala recipe with tender turkey and the flavors are bold and beautiful. Leftover turkey never tasted so good!!
- 1 pound leftover turkey shredded or chopped.
- 3 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 (14.5oz) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp grated or finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 large garlic cloves grated or finely chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup whole greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric , paprika, coriander and salt & pepper to taste. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and the leftover turkey. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if needed.
- Stir in the yogurt, cilantro and adjust seasonings to taste. Simmer for 5 more minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with extra cilantro.
Amount Per Serving Calories 385Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 158mgSodium 338mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 40g