This Keto Goulash With Sauerkraut is a nostalgic meal brought back from the old country.
It’s just like gramma used to make it, and this time it’s Keto, Low Carb and Gluten Free!
You don’t have to be of Hungarian descent to appreciate the rich flavors of sauerkraut and beef cooked in paprika.
If you’ve never tried goulash, the flavor of this dish may very well convert you.
This is a perfect cold weather keto meal on a chilly night.
It’s really easy to make in your crockpot, and you’ll have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.
Keto Goulash With Sauerkraut Ingredients
– Beef: I use a nice cut of beef chuck roast, but you could also use stew meat.
– Bacon: I use about six or seven slices of bacon about half a pound.
– Sauerkraut: Make sure to buy the kind in the bag or jar and not canned. You want pure fermented sauerkraut with no preservatives or added ingredients.
– Beef broth: You want full fat and and not the low sodium.
– Onion: I used one big yellow onion this time.
– Garlic: I used four to six cloves of garlic, again it’s all preference.
– Tomato paste: This is not a can of tomato sauce so don’t make that mistake. Make sure is tomato paste.
– Paprika: This is the key ingredient, so do not skimp on it. I like Hungarian hot paprika for this, but you can use regular if that is all you have on hand.
– Cayenne powder: This is optional, but I like to add it for a little heat.
– Bay leaves: I used two this time, but only one would suffice if you don’t like the flavor they add.
– Salt & Pepper: You can add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
This low carb goulash can be made in your crockpot, Instant Pot or on the stove top.
I used my trusty crockpot, but if you don’t have one, I am sure this goulash could be made in a large pot on the stove easily enough.
I love my slow cooker because I can set it in the morning when I am rushing out the door, and when I get home our house smells wonderful!
I know you will enjoy this keto goulash with sauerkraut.
Give it a try!
Keto Goulash With Sauerkraut Recipe
This Keto Goulash With Sauerkraut hearty and full of flavor. It's really easy to make in your crockpot, and you'll have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.
- 2 pounds beef cubed
- 1/2 pound bacon chopped
- 3/4 pound sauerkraut
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 each bay leaves
Instructions for The Crockpot
- Layer the onions, bacon and sauerkraut in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Layer the beef on top.
- Add all remaining ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Cook until meat is tender (5-6 hours).
Instructions for Instant Pot
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté.
- Once hot, add in the bacon and onion. Cook until bacon is crisp (3-5 minutes).
- Add beef and continue to cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients into Instant Pot and secure the lid.
- Set the valve to sealing.
- Select high pressure and set timer for 20 minutes.
- Once time is up, allow pressure to naturally release (10-15 minutes).
Amount Per Serving Calories 632Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 169mgSodium 1392mgCarbohydrates 14gNet Carbohydrates 10gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 55g