This low carb butternut squash soup is a keto friendly recipe.
A great fall or winter dish to have on hand. Low carb soups are perfect for any season!
This is a more traditional version of a butternut squash soup versus the coconut milk based soup.
It’s delicious, creamy and filling. A great dish for dinner or cold weather entertaining.
This low carb soup can be served hot or cold.
You can even made this delicious low carb soup recipe in your slow cooker!
You can make it ahead and keep in the fridge for quick and easy meals during the week.
Low carb butternut squash soup Ingredients
– Butternut squash: Peel, remove seeds and chop into cubes.
– Butter: I like to use salted butter
– Onion: Chop into small pieces.
– Garlic: Use fresh garlic crushed or minced.
– Thyme: Fresh or dried thyme.
– Nutmeg: I love fresh ground nutmeg, but you can use pre-ground as well.
– Cinnamon: It adds depth to this dish.
– Chicken Stock: Use the full fat and regular sodium chicken stock.
– Heavy Cream: Whole milk full fat heavy cream is best for a creamier consistency.
– Salt & pepper: I use fresh ground sea salt and ground black pepper.
– Fresh parsley, sour cream and roasted pepitas: For garnish.
The good thing about this butternut soup recipe is that is not only low carb, but it’s also Gluten free, Whole-30 and Paleo.
Therefore you can share with a large group of friends and family without worrying about food allergies.
The garnish is easy, just chopped parsley and roasted pepitas.
Sour cream adds complexity and a nice creamy texture to the soup.
Low Carb Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This low carb butternut squash soup is a keto friendly recipe. Can be served hot or cold. It's also Gluten free, Whole-30 and Paleo.
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fresh parsley, sour cream and roasted pepitas for garnish. (optional)
- In a large pot, melt butter and add butternut squash cubes to the pot. Cook for about 10 minutes turning and tossing until golden brown color.
- Add onions, garlic, nutmeg, thyme and cinnamon. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium high heat until onions are translucent in color.
- Pour in the chicken stock and reduce heat to low-medium. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- When squash is tender use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. (see note)
- Add heavy cream and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, sour cream and toasted pepitas.
If you don't have an immersion blender transfer mixture into blender or food processor and blend until smooth consistency.
Amount Per Serving Calories 270Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 65mgSodium 337mgCarbohydrates 13gNet Carbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 6g