Easy Keto Caprese salad is originally from Capri, in the southern region of Campania Italy. A very simple dish that is elegant, full of fresh flavors and can me made in just 10 minutes.
Ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fragrant basil are married together with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to create this masterpiece delight that melts in your mouth with an explosive complexed combination of flavors.
Are you looking for a side dish or appetizer that won’t heat up your kitchen? Do you want to wow your friend and family while at it? then this easy keto caprese salad is the perfect dish for you.
What is a Caprese Salad?
The caprese salad is a cold dish from Capri, Campania Italy. It is the most popular summer appetizer for its fresh and delicious ingredients.
There are two versions of the origin of the insulata caprese. In the 1920’s where a tribute to Italy was made using the Italian flag colors green, red and white (Basil, tomatoes and mozzarella) and was found on the menu at the Hotel Quisisana .
The other version as later in the 1950’s King Farouk wanted a light appetizer one afternoon and was served a sandwich with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil.
Is Caprese Salad Keto?
Yes, this is a keto salad that can be enjoyed on your ketogenic diet and keto lifestyle. Just use the balsamic vinegar in moderation. Just a reminder to always read the nutrition label of the products you buy. There are some balsamic vinegar that are loaded is sugars.
Keto-Friendly Caprese Salad Ingredients
- Tomatoes: Summer is the peak season for tomatoes. Ripe and bursting with flavor. Cut the tomatoes in slices.
- Basil: This is one of my favorite herbs. Make sure to buy fresh basil with vibrant green leaves and no bruises.
- Olive Oil: Use a good quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. It is light in flavor and delicious.
- Mozzarella: Buy fresh soft mozzarella also known as mozzarella di bufala, not the hard prepackaged mozzarella cheese.
- Balsamic Vinegar: I like to use balsamic vinegar. The Insalata Caprese originale no dot use vinegar at all but I like the sweetness that the aceto balsamico brings to the dish.
- Sea Salt: Make sure you salt generously.
- Pepper: Pepper to taste.
Easy Keto Caprese Salad Recipe
This easy keto caprese salad where ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fragrant basil are married together with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to create this masterpiece delight that melts in your mouth with an explosive complexed combination of flavors. It’s ready in just 10 minutes.
- 3 medium Tomatoes sliced
- 1 lb Fresh Mozzarella sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- On a pretty platter arrange one after the other in this order: tomatoes, mozzarela, basil.
- Once you have the arrangement drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Drizzle with a few drops of balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 358Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 73mgSodium 729mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 21g