Easy Keto Caprese salad recipe has 358 calories per serving, and 7 grams of carbs, is the perfect salad for a low carb diet and is ready in under 20 minutes!
It can be served as an appetizer, a main course or as a side dish.
A healthy caprese salad recipe made with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil.
This easy salad can be made ahead of time and is perfect for a picnic, potluck, or barbecue!
Caprese Salad Q&A
A caprese salad is a salad an Italian salad that originated in the region of Campania in southern Italy. It is typically made with fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil leaves, and seasoned with salt and olive oil.
The name comes from the Italian word for “goat”, capra, as fresh goat’s milk mozzarella was originally used in the dish.
Yes, Caprese salad is a keto-friendly salad that can be enjoyed on your ketogenic diet and keto lifestyle. Just use the balsamic vinegar in moderation as it contains a bit of sugar.
Caprese salad is a healthy dish that is made up of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. The salad is low in calories and high in nutrients, making it a healthy option for a light meal or snack.
Tomatoes are a key ingredient in caprese salad, and there are many different types of tomatoes to choose from. When selecting tomatoes for caprese salad, it is important to choose a type that is firm, has a smooth skin, and is slightly acidic. Some of the best tomatoes for caprese salad include:
– Roma tomatoes
– Campari tomatoes
– San Marzano tomatoes
– Heirloom tomatoes
Keto-Friendly Caprese Salad Ingredients
- Tomatoes: Summer is the peak season for tomatoes. Ripe and bursting with flavor. Cut the tomatoes in slices.
- Basil: This is one of my favorite herbs. Make sure to buy fresh basil with vibrant green leaves and no bruises.
- Olive Oil: Use a good quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. It is light in flavor and delicious.
- Mozzarella: Buy fresh soft mozzarella also known as mozzarella di bufala, not the hard prepackaged mozzarella cheese.
- Balsamic Vinegar: I like to use balsamic vinegar. The Insalata Caprese originale no dot use vinegar at all but I like the sweetness that the aceto balsamico brings to the dish.
- Sea Salt: Make sure you salt generously.
- Pepper: Pepper to taste.
How To Make The Insalata Caprese
- Start by slicing the tomatoes into thin slices and then set them aside.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into thin slices and then set it aside as well.
- Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and set them aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- To assemble the salad, start by arranging the sliced tomatoes on a serving platter.
- Next, top the tomatoes with the sliced mozzarella cheese and then sprinkle with the torn basil leaves.
- Drizzle the salad with the balsamic vinegar dressing and then serve immediately.
Tear the basil leaves instead of cutting them to prevent the Basil from bruising.
If you are not serving the salad immediately, wait to drizzle the dressing on until right before serving.
What to serve with caprese salad?
This salad is very verstile and can be served as an appetizer, a main course or as a side dish.
Some of my favorite things to serve with caprese salad are:
– Grilled chicken kababs for a light lunch.
– Roasted veggies to accompany a family dinner.
– Sautee Halibut to make it a low calorie meal
– Chicken Stuffed with spinach a meal idea for dinner parties
As you can see, there are many different things that go well with caprese salad. So, get creative and experiment with what you like!
Easy Keto Caprese Salad Recipe
Easy Keto Caprese Salad
This easy keto caprese salad where ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fragrant basil are married together with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to create this masterpiece delight that melts in your mouth with an explosive complexed combination of flavors. It’s ready in just 10 minutes.
- 3 medium Tomatoes sliced
- 1 lb Fresh Mozzarella sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- On a pretty platter arrange one after the other in this order: tomatoes, mozzarela, basil.
- Once you have the arrangement drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Drizzle with a few drops of balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 358Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 73mgSodium 729mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 21g